Sunday, May 23, 2010

Butterfly Pea (Clitoria ternatea)

Sowing date: 4/20/10 (?)
Zone: 8+ or Annual (all zones)

These were the first to sprout. I knew that I wanted to try some sort of vine or creeper, possibly something to hang from the ceiling. A co-worker gave me a couple hanging philodendron plants a while back and I really liked the look, so I wanted to add to the collection. When looking online to see what I might want to grow, I came across the Butterfly Pea and read this:

"Clitoria ternatea is a vigorous, twining vine that blooms in just 6 weeks from seed. Sensational plant for hanging baskets. Bright, deep blue flowers to 2" year round. White blooms may also appear occasionally. Full sun to part shade, morning sun is best. Annual or tender perennial."

Here are pictures of the seed, click on the pictures to see a larger version:


The sowing instructions (see below) called for nicking or pricking the seedcoat and then soaking the seeds for 24 hours prior to planting. So I took a regular serrated kitchen knife, lightly nicked about half of the seeds, then soaked them in water for a day. Since nicking the coat was only a suggestion, I planted the others without any pre-treatment, both the treated and untreated seeds sprouted, so use your own judgment. The instructions also called for high humidity and bright light so I placed them in a clear plastic box by the window that gets morning sun.

I planted seeds in 4 seedling pots and two sprouted. However, one seems to have sprouted upside down. I do not know if it matters and I figured once planted they would sprout as they were supposed to, naturally growing right-side-up towards the light. Perhaps because it's a vine it doesn't matter. But take a look at this, they are virtual opposites:





Hmmm, looks somewhat odd. The one on the top looks like its leaves are buried in the soil. That was the first one to sprout though and it actually had a twin that sprouted the same way. If you look closely, you see a dead stem to the left of it (sniff, sniff), so I am worried that it might not be growing right. That seems like a silly statement though, seeds know what to do (then again, the twin-seedling didn't...). The one on the bottom came a week later. And has recently done this:

Looks nice! So I am thinking about flipping the other one, shouldn't be too difficult. If I had a bunch sprouting, I would leave it and see what happens, but I only have two.

Here are the sowing instructions, click in the picture to get a clearer read:


Update - 5/25/10





<- I flipped the "upside-down" seedling








The other one keeps growing ->





Update - 5/26/10


Oops, looks like flipping the seedling was a bad idea. Lesson learned...

No comments:

Post a Comment