Thursday, May 20, 2010

Seeds planted, basic set-up

Below is a list of seeds I have planted, most are now on a windowsill on the east side of my apartment, getting plenty of morning sun. A few are in my room on the other end of the apartment, and they get the less direct and less strong, late afternoon sun.

Here's the set-up for the plants getting the bright morning sun. As you can see, some of the seeds were placed in a clear plastic box. It is my experience with a few other plants that seedlings thrive under high humidity, at least to get them started. In the past I've used a Jiffy Greenhouse Starter Kit. Unless the sowing instructions call for a seed's soil to be lightly moist or perhaps susceptible to damping-off, then I would try it (damping-off is a disease that can kill seedlings caused by fungus. It can be prevented by sowing seeds in dryer conditions, i.e., don't over water. More on that later). However, I believe it is important for there to be some air circulation, especially if the seedling pots are getting direct sunlight and especially if the seeds sprout. So I usually crack the top open to let them breathe and at some point in the day I will take off the cover completely. Really, it's all trial and error for me. The rest of the seeds were not covered and planted in regular seedling pots, those are pictured as well. I'll talk about watering later, but if your seedling pots are small and getting a lot of light, the soil will dry out quickly and possibly destroy the seeds if not watered frequently. I water the pots in the morning before I leave and then when I get back from work, not a ton, just enough for the soil to be moist. If the pots are not getting direct sunlight or only a little direct sunlight each day, then once a day is fine.

Here is a list of seeds I have planted. In the future, I will post pictures of seeds before I plant them.

  • African Baobab (Adansonia digitata)
  • Butterfly Pea (Clitoria ternatea)
  • Coast Redwood (Sequoia sempervirens)
  • Dawn Redwood (Metasequoia glyptostroboides)
  • Japanese Zelkova (Zelkova serrata)
  • Joshua Tree (Yucca brevifolia)
  • Marigold Striped (Tagetes patula)
  • Monkey Pod Brazilian Rain Tree (Samanea saman)
  • Sensitive Plant/Touch-Me-Not (Mimosa pudica)
  • Splitleaf Philodendron (Monstera deliciosa)
  • Telegraph Plant (Desmodium gyrans)
So far a few have sprouted: the Butterfly Pea, Coast Redwood, Sensitive Plant, and the striped Marigold.

No comments:

Post a Comment